Friday, January 13, 2012
Masking Tape Dress
I made this dress for the Scholastic Art and Writing competition. It’s made completely out of masking tape and let me just tell you that it was a bit of a sticky situation (haha pardon the pun, but I just couldn’t help myself). I was inspired by architecture and an empty butterfly chrysalis.
I first constructed the underneath by using a stiff interfacing. Next I had to add a couple of layers of masking tape on top of that in order to get the length where I wanted it. Then I started adding, one by one, layers of masking tape starting from the bottom. I used over 18 rolls of masking tape and over 80 hours went into making the dress. The dress is completely wearable. It has a zipper sewn in the back for getting in and out of.
I might have nightmares about wads of tape attacking me in my sleep, but I’m pretty happy with the way it turned out. Haha. I just dropped it off for judging and I find out Sunday if it got in. Oh I’m so nervous! Wish me luck and I hope you like it :)
***Update Sunday*** I got the results back and the dress won a Gold Key!! :D Thank you everyone for all the kind and encouraging words!