Sunday, February 24, 2013

What Adventures May Come...

My inspiration for this photo shoot was of a Barbie that I saw way back when I was probably 8 or 9 years old.  You're probably thinking, "How in the world does a Barbie inspire a photo shoot?"  

Well the Barbie that I saw was the Princess of Ireland Barbie and it was her illustration that I remembered from all these years ago.  It was a water color illustration and it had her standing with her hair blowing in the wind and there was a castle behind her.  I just remembered thinking that it looked like she was about to set on an adventure.   For some reason while I was working on the idea for this photo shoot I had that illustration stuck in my head and the idea of going off on an adventure.  It's funny that the image of the illustration has stayed with me in my head for all these years. 







The illustration below is not the exact one that I saw, but it's the only illustration that I could find of this Barbie today. 



      As for my dress, I designed and hand drafted the pattern of this dress using my own measurements. The dress was made from a printed linen fabric.  The fabric was pre-printed for a circle skirt, but I thought the pattern would make a unique dress. Each pattern piece was specifically placed on the patterned fabric.  Because the print on the fabric is so detailed I wanted to keep the dress design simple, focusing primarily on placement of the pattern and the fit of the garment.   The skirt is pleated with 2.5 inch pleats all the way round the skirt. There is an invisible zipper in the back with a placket of fabric covered buttons on top of it.  





How about you?  Do you have any childhood inspirations that you still remember?  

P.S.  The first photograph at the top was featured in my local newspaper along with the names of all the regional Scholastic Art and Writing Award winners.  



11 comments:

  1. I think I was inspired by the film "Barb Wire" with Pamela Anderson ahahaha hence, my obsession for latex, vinyls, leather, etc :X

    nancywilde.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you find pre-printed circle skirt panels? Love your adaptation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen! I got this fabric at Wal-mart a couple years back. It was in the $1 section and I only bought 1.5 yards and now I wish I got more. I'm absolutely in love with it.

      Delete
  3. Esther, this is one of my favorites among your wonderful creations. Such a classy dress. You really know how to make fabric sing! Love, love, love that dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so beautiful! where on earth did u get that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are so talented in so many ways! love the photos and the dress you made!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always in awe of your design/sewing abilities. I have never had the patience to sit and learn how to sew clothes. Odds n' ends? Craft projects? No problem. A dress? A skirt? No way, Jose.
    Can't wait to see what you create next. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog through Kollabora and I am in awe of your talent!! I could get lost in your blog for hours! You are definitely now one of my favourites. You mentioned in an earlier post that you wanted to add more in-progress photos, which I would be grateful to see. Half of what makes the garment beautiful is the work put into the design and contruction, and I love seeing how someone has chosen to finish a seam, and what techniques were used in the construction. I have to mention that I am equally in awe of your photography skills as well.
    I cant wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful dress and I love your photography too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, this is beautiful. and I had that barbie when I was little, so it's so wonderful for me to see your vision from it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. the props, the styling, the dress! all so lovely

    ReplyDelete