Friday, April 19, 2013

1950s Inspired Spring Party Dress

Spring, spring, spring, spring!  Yes that was an excessive number of springs, but I'm too excited to even care!  I have been waiting for spring to arrive ever since January.   Normally I love winter, and I want it to stay prolonged for as long as possible, but this year I've just been ready for a change of seasons.  I'm ready for the flowers and the green again.  I think my trip to Savannah encouraged this, because I saw how green it was down there, and it made me long for summer.  Summer is the start of adventures, but spring is the start of the anticipation of all the possibilities, and I love that feeling.






All photos taken myself

I made this dress for the Fort Wayne Museum of Art's Funky Formal Night that was about a month ago.  I wanted to create something very retro and 1950s inspired   I hand drafted this dress pattern and used over 5 yards of fabric.  There were so many pleats that had to be measured and hand pressed, that by the end I was ready to be done with the iron for awhile.  There are 1/2'' pleats around the top of the bodice, 1'' pleats around the waist, and 1.5'' pleats around the middle of the skirt.  There is also a pleated placket with buttons in the back covering the zipper.  

The dress itself is a simple strapless dress with a sweetheart neckline and an invisible zipper in the back.  The dress is fully lined with boning in the bodice for support.  There's also a colorful tulle crinoline that I designed to pop out on purpose 2.5'' below the hemline.

There are hidden pockets in the side.  Like I've said so many times before I like to have pockets in dresses.  Most of the time I don't want to carry around a clutch or a bag while I'm all dressed up.  I like having a place where I can stash my keys and cell phone without having to worry about carrying them all night.  







The first rough sketch. 


^Instagraming while in the middle of the sewing process.

Also for anyone who is interested this dress is for sale in my Etsy shop along with a couple other new garments.  I cleaned out my closet the other day of clothes that I will be selling so I'll keep you updated all throughout this month when new items are up.  

I hope you're having a lovely Friday and happy spring!  

36 comments:

  1. ohhh I love to make clothes too!
    Beautiful dress!

    Susan (www.thecutefashion.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. really impressive! love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I adore this so much! I just stumbled across your blog and I love how talented you are. I'm excited to follow along from now on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty !
    Lucie
    http://lepetitblogdelucie.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dress is gorgeous.. I am really impressed with your sewing skills!

    xoxo Lorelai
    Seams Unbiased

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! And I do agree, pockets just makes a dress so much better (but still there are way too many without pockets!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing! Your talent just kills me some times - you're going to be a big thing in the fashion world one day, that's my prediction :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. everything about these pictures is beautiful - you, the dress, the flowers! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there Esther! Just came upon your blog, and WOW, I do believe you are the most talented young fashion designer I've ever seen. And I don't say that lightly, having grown up with fashion designer best friends! Also I was delightfully surprised to see we share a birthday, December 13... though 8 years apart. ;) Best wishes for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an exquisite dress! I'm sure someone will snatch it up soon. Love the fabric and the many pleats - even in the piping around the neckline. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. omg can't believe you did that on your own, I'm so jealous :D
    by the way, love your blog!
    xoxo, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. you are very talented, gorgeous dress & photos =D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty, I love your little details :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The photographs are stunning and so is the dress. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You need to go to Chicago with your designs! That is where a very dear older friend of mine got her start in the design industry, showing her creations to a top name department store. Of course, that was back in the 1960's and she went on to become a million dollar designer in Los Angeles with a store called Apropos', yes, a French name and NOW there is a store by that name in France. She rented a warehouse and had another gal sewing her designs for her. She designed most of the loose fitting coats and dresses that took the world by storm, and Paris designers 'knocked off' her designs. Which does happen in this day and age.
    Good luck and may you find the right person at the right time for pursuing your designer career. Look online...there has to be a network out there for young designers to promote their designs.
    I love God and Jesus too...He wants your talents to be recognized.
    hugs,
    Teresa in California
    http://amagicalwhimsy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, that is such a pretty dress, & I absolutely love your photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Esther!
    I'm a girl from Germany, 18 year old too (excuse my english).
    I simply want to say that the things you create are very beautiful and also inspiring for me!
    I really love, love, love it to watch you going your way, even if I don't know you, I'm so enthusiastic for you and your work. You handle to create a very special atmosphere with your photographs along with only a few words. I mean I feel so ready for spring too and you wrapped the feeling into words (in english of course)!
    I'll continue visiting your blog as I do for years, full of rapture, never dead certain enough to leave a comment!
    Keep going ahead and have a nice week!
    Love, Vroni.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're so talented, your designs and your photography are amazing. I have no doubt that you will make it as a fashion designer. Great blog and keep up the amazing work.
    xx Kari
    http://moderngirlsinvintagepearls.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  19. ahhhh amazing. i wish green looked that good on my. what beautiful red hair! I cant believe you are selling it :'(

    ReplyDelete
  20. love the makeup! And the dress, of course

    ReplyDelete
  21. You want to have a memorable day, not a day that you will remember as the day that destroyed your life savings. So there should be less expenditure.
    Bachelorette party LA

    ReplyDelete
  22. Im speechless, such amazing Pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. you're like a goddess!!! and your dress is amazing! :D
    i wish we could be friends!

    xoxo,
    Rae
    http://raellarina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh wow, gorgeous pictures!! You look absolutely stunning and I love love love your dress so much! You are really talented!!

    Hope you visit me on my blog
    fashionobsession-mieni.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Like always I'm always more than impressed by your talent! This dress is perfect! And the pictures make me dream, when I look at all your pictures I feel like I was brought to a new world where there are fairies and magical creatures! You must think I'm crazy but I'm really a huge fan of all you do! I also love your make up :) Never stop doing what you do because you're inspiring and make people happy :) Sybille from Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just found your blog! I love your photos and the dress - stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh! This photos are amazing. You are so cute c: I love that dress!

    ReplyDelete
  28. It is so pretty! You are a real artist :)

    Jacky
    http://themermaidscandy.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  29. That's exactly what I was looking for! You have done a great job. Your article is really relevant to this topic, I need at this moment, and I am very happy to read it.can you plz help me i am searching beautiful party dresses for girls

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful ! I love your pictures

    ReplyDelete
  31. Damn love your blog while reading through the old pages... There are a lot of stunning photos!!! I LOVE it so much ...

    ReplyDelete
  32. We are provide you some mehndi designs online. Optimistically you unwell like these best high easy and stylish Special Mehndi designs 2017 for girls. Wedding season is ON and young women are finding out new collection of Bridal dresses by famous fashion designers. Maria B, Khaadi, Tena Durani, So Kamal have beautiful collection of bridal dresses.
    https://latestmehndidesignss.blogspot.com/2017/02/Mehndi-Designs-2017-Latest-Collection-for-Girls.html
    http://modernbridaldresses.weebly.com/

    ReplyDelete
  33. The Pakistani fancy dresses are very popular in all over the Asia because they not only have huge range of variety but also the fabrics of these dresses are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I read that Post and got it fine and informative. Please share more like that...
    party dresses uk

    ReplyDelete