Thursday, December 26, 2013

Multi-Colored Beaded Necklace

 In the 3rd grade I was really into jewelry-making and went through an entire season where that's all I did.  I watched Beads Bobbles and Jewels on PBS religiously every Tuesday afternoon and stalked their website for hours, bookmarking every project that I thought looked cool (which was every single one).   Of course, once I found knitting, my obsession moved to a hobby that I still did from time to time.  Looking back jewelry-making ultimately started me on my path with textiles and fashion.  This past week I went back into a small jewelry-making phase.  I made the necklace that I'm wearing out of felt, beads that I had laying around, and ribbon.
My inspiration for this necklace was a painter's pallet.  I always love the random look of the mismatched colors.  Pallet's always end up looking cohesive to me, even though all the colors are very different and no thought is put into where each color will go.  I tend to over think most of my projects (am I the only one who does that?) so I wanted to make a project where I forced myself to not over think the design process.  So when I was planning the pattern of the necklace, I just laid down whatever color that I first picked up.  It was so much fun and a nice break from thinking too hard!  
Outfit:  
Blouse and Necklace - Esther from the Sticks 
Flare Jeans - Forever 21
 Hat - Thrifted
All photos taken by myself
 I forgot how much I've missed working with jewelry, and I'm hoping to make a few more of these necklaces in different styles and colors. 

I'll be posting a tutorial on how to make this necklace next week!

17 comments:

  1. wow the necklace is gorgeous! So cool :)

    Hayley xx
    www.addictionstoshopping.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really cool. I can't wait for the tutorial. I agree with you that sometimes it's good to have a project where you just make, fast, without thinking too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That necklace is beautiful!! I am in love! :)
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I also had a period where I would whip up necklace after necklace after earrings, but I rarely make any jewellery now... I'll have to get that back on my to do list! Thank you for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are stunning! i love the necklace, so beautiful!
    xo,
    maddie

    http://feelingmagenta.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. The necklace is beautiful. Really refreshing to see someone following their dream. Congrats on your fashion journey!

    Sincerely,
    Tania
    http://inspiremyfancy.blogspot.com/2013/12/all-that-glitters.html#gpluscomments

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wow thats so lovely! and your outfit is wonderful also. I remember having an obsession with beading as well and i found one of my mums 70s craft books which had this really neat dragonfly brooch which i made, but was too scared to wear in case it fell apart!

    ReplyDelete
  8. my.gosh.
    i love this necklace.
    but then again, i love everything "esther"….

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great necklace and I love how you didn't obsess over the design. Have you ever heard of the artist Hannah Hoch? Her work was very random and she let things come together without any thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Found your blog today via pintrest. You are super talented and really awesome!! All your dresses and photography etc. is gorgeous!! They really make me want to make more dresses but I think that will have to wait until summer when I actually have free time. I love sewing but tend to do more bags/purses/wallets than dresses. If you're interested in looking at my blog it's http://craftybirdy.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much for your kind words about my work! Also I checked out your blog and you have some really incredible ideas and projects! I love what you did with patching a tree onto your hoodie. Also your duct tape shoes are fantastic! Keep creating and thanks for sharing your blog with me!

      Delete
  11. Lovely, and your hair is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Huge blog having good source of information aboutMulti Colored Beaded Necklace.Keep sharing the good posts ahead..

    ReplyDelete