Tuesday, February 10, 2015

A Midsummer Night's Dream: The Process

Last quarter I took Apparel 1 (draping), and I designed my final project around the inspiration of A Midsummer Night's Dream and the era of the 1920s.  I thought that I'd share with you a bit of the design process that went into making it.  I'll share more of the draping and sewing process in the next post when I show the final garment.   
Below is the initial croquis.  I drew over 40 different design variations and picked the one that I liked best.  Below is the one I chose.
Along with the final look, the class was told to pick four other looks to go with the one design to create a five-piece mini capsule collection.  Below is the five look lineup that I chose.
Flats were drawn after the muslin stage.
During the time of making the garment we had to keep a process book.  Here are a couple different texture pages from it. 


Below is a page of a process book that I keep my photography ideas in. The whole time I was envisioning a shoot with white paper butterflies so I sketched it out.
Sneak peek of the final shoot:
I'll be posting the final dress later this week!  I’m very excited to finally share it with you!  

7 comments:

  1. The 20's is such an inspiring era! After watching the newest "The Great Gatsby" I immediately went home and sketched. Your line is beautiful. Can't wait to see more pictures of the final project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! The collection looks amazing on paper. I'm nowhere near a designer, and would rather consider myself a seamstress dabbling in design, but you really got me inspired to work on a collection of my own, just for the fun and creativity of it.
    Looking forward to the photos of the finished garments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful collection. Your fabric choices are so ethereal and lovely. Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous collection - i love the fabric choices too. I'm looking forward to the finished pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited to see the dress! I took draping when I was in fashion school and I loved it. And your illustrations are amazing. The whole collection is very cohesive. I love the recurring use of the diamond motif.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool to see the process!! The collection is wonderful!

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete