Saturday, June 27, 2015

Good Morning Moon


All photographs are self portraits taken by myself using a tripod.
Styling and set design:  Esther Boller

The Great Gatsby will always be one of my favorite books.  Fitzgerald's books are so clearly written and there's such a high level of beauty in his words.  I've always been inspired by characters in books/movies, and as I've written before, Gatsby is an inspiration I always go back to.  There's something so whimsical and soft about the of the clothing in that era.  It feels more theatrical and special and I swoon over it all.   I've slowly been collecting pieces here and there that nod back to that era, though I can't afford the real deal.

While this dress isn't a true 1920s piece, it's a vintage Guess dress that I scored at Goodwill on 50% off day.  That was a triumphant thrift day.  I made my headband to complete my look which was very simple.  I just cut out a piece of applique from a beaded dress that I also bought at goodwill.  I always buy beaded items when I can to cut up for the beads. It's a lot cheaper and better quality of beads than buying from craft stores (always wait for the 50% off days though).  Once my shape was cut, I then ironed a piece of heavy fusible interfacing onto the back.  This makes the applique super firm.  Then I stitched a piece of ribbon onto the back and magic - we're in the 20s.  



Headband:  DIY,  Dress:  Vintage Guess,  Shoes:  JC Penny,  Necklace:  H&M sale.  
Stay magical.  

Xx
Esther 

20 comments:

  1. Your photographs are beautiful as always. I hope you will not perceive my comment as rude, but The Great Gatsby was written and set in the 1920s not the thirties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sweet complement, and also for the correction! Updates have been made :)

      Delete
  2. Dear Esther,
    It is great to see you back online. I am wondering - which program do you use to edit your photographs? They are always stunning.
    Wishing you the best,
    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this- very beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures are so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gah! So beautiful :), I always feel inspired after I gaze at your magical photos. Thank you Esther!
    xX Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous photos very clever to style, photograph and appear in them yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just beautiful. F Scott Fitzgerald is also one of my favorite authors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ester,

    What a gorgeous collection of photos. I'm far more impressed by your sewing skills though. I have to admit that is a skill I wish I had. I can't do much more than hem a skirt.

    What other sewing projects are you working on? Do you sell any of your pieces?

    Your works is definitely worth tweeting about. I can't wait to see more. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning colors ~ I adore the blush pink hue of your outfit, it looks so stunning against the lush green backdrop of the woods in your pictures. The moon is a cute idea, it really completes the dreamy feel of this series of shoots. Lovely. ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful pictures. Great magic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photos are great!!!



    http://brightdecember.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is beautiful! Which adaptation do you prefer? I'm personally a Mia Farrow fan forever haha. Also I am a SCAD alumna, I studied under the film and TV program!

    ReplyDelete